For a venue which has played host to the greatest political icons of the twentieth century, witnessed some of the greatest gigs and countless dance moves, the Empress Ballroom remains one of Blackpool’s – if not the UK’s – greatest venues.
Designed by Mangnall & Littlewood and opened in 1896 it has delighted millions of visitors for over 120 years.
Praised for its acoustics, due to the quality of the materials used in its unique barrel-vaulted ceiling, the Empress Ballroom is the ideal venue for every event from pop concerts, political and trade conferences and exhibitions. Home to a diverse collection of events from the pigeon fanciers to magicians to dance and punk festivals, the Empress caters for every occasion.
It’s spring-mounted dancefloor – one of the last remaining in the UK – gives the Empress Ballroom that extra bounce when the biggest stars take to the stage, while its balconies give visitors a unique 360-degree view of one of the greatest arenas in the UK.
The Empress Ballroom continues to delight and be diverse in equal measure. With access to some of the Winter Gardens Blackpool other unique venues, the Empress Ballroom is more than just a venue, it can form the centrepiece for larger events which come to Blackpool.
- The Empress Ballroom has a capacity of 3,500
- Other commissions carried out by the Littlewood brothers, John and William Henry, include the Manchester Gasworks, Manchester Fishworks and Salford Baths
- The ballroom has hosted the prestigious Blackpool Dance Festival since 1920
- The Empress is known in the fraternity as “Dancing’s Golden Pleasure Dome”
- Famous acts to appear at the Empress include The Rolling Stones, The Stone Roses, Oasis, The Prodigy and Elbow.
Empress Ballroom Accessibility
The Empress Ballroom is a multi-level venue. The Ballroom balcony can be accessed by lift, although the very upper ‘Gods’ balcony floor is only accessible via stairs. There are some clearly marked steps in this area which can be overcome by ramps with handrails on both sides. There are accessible toilet cubicles within the standard toilets next to the Ballroom.
For accessible bookings, use our dedicated access line and please make sure to explain your particular Access requirements when you book your tickets.
Dedicated Access booking line: 01253 749273.
Empress Ballroom Events and Tickets
Unless otherwise stated tickets are available via TicketMaster UK, in box office or by calling 0844 856 1111, links are supplied from the individual event pages to the relevant booking pages.
In some instances, tickets may be available via different platforms.
You can see all of the upcoming shows for the Empress Ballroom and all other Winter Gardens venues by visiting our What’s On page.
Empress Ballroom Seating Plans
The Empress Ballroom is a multi-layout space meaning a variety of seating arrangements are used for the wide variety of events which take place within the space.
- Capacity: 3350
- Size: 12,500 square feet (1,160 sq. metres)
- Ideal For: Music Concerts, Dance Festivals, Darts
- Interesting Fact: It was requisitioned by the Admiralty in 1918 for military use during World War I